The program ¨Time to Teach¨ is developed by the Ministry of Education of Ecuador, and executed by non-profit organizations. We invite you to enjoy this wonderful once in a lifetime experience while teaching English to children and adolescents from vulnerable sectors of our country.
¨Come and be part of the experience of improving English learning in Ecuador by being a volunteer teacher in public elementary and high schools; and take the opportunity to explore a country with one of the greatest biodiversity in the world and a great cultural heritage¨.
The program consists of teaching English to students from public schools in the country
There are two teaching position options:
- Long term position (10 months):
- May 2017 to end the last days of February 2018 in the Coast Region. (Teachers accepted into the program can arrive during April 2017)
- Short term position (5 months):
- May 2017 to September 2017 (Teachers accepted into the program can arrive during April 2017)
- October 2017 to end the last days of February 2018 (5 months) (Teachers accepted into the program can arrive as late as September 30th 2017)
- The volunteer will work as AN ENGLISH TEACHER; therefore he/she must comply with all the responsibilities of the position.
- The volunteer teacher will have to comply up to 40 labor hours per week. (Monday to Friday)
- Volunteers can have the morning shift or the afternoon shift.
- The volunteer will have 30 academic hours (45 min. class), plus 10 hours of lesson planning and additional activities at the school. (Meetings with parents, teachers and other activities).
- There could be as many as 40 students per class. The ranges from the ages of the students vary between 5 – 18 years old.
- Attend to events and training related to the program, coordinated by the non-profit organization / Ministry of Education.
- The volunteer must behave according to the Volunteer Handbook, as being ambassadors of its own country and from the foundation in the different institutions.
THE PROGRAM INCLUDES:
- LONG TERM POSITION: Airline tickets (round trip) from the volunteer’s current place of residence to Ecuador.
- SHORT TERM POSITION: Airline tickets (one-way) for the return from Ecuador to the corresponding country. (The flight from the volunteer’s current place of residence to Ecuador will be cover by the volunteer).
- Visa application process made by the non-profit organization in order to participate as a volunteer teacher.
- Private, national, pre-paid medical insurance for volunteer teachers during their stay in the program. (If the volunteers have other medical insurance, they will still be covered by the one offered by the program).
- Accommodation and 2 meals provided by the host family whose children study at the school where the volunteer teacher will be working.
Meals: host families provide 2 meals (breakfast and dinner). The volunteer has to cover for lunch expenses.
- Monthly volunteer living allowance for the teacher’s personal expenses. A total of $386 per month (Minus 8% of taxes).
- Induction and training regarding the Ecuadorian public education system and the English teaching plan developed by the Ministry of Education.
- Information on tourist attractions and tours which volunteer teachers can use to plan their travels in Ecuador.
- At the end of the program participants will receive a diploma signed by the Ministry of Education and the non-profit organization in recognition of their valuable contribution as a volunteer teacher in the ¨Time to Teach¨ Program.
WHO CAN APPLY?
- Being a native English speaker or having at least a B2 English level according to the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR).
- Having a Bachelor’s Degree with any academic specialty, or university students attending the last year/s of their education, or holder of an internationally recognized certification for English teaching.
- Not having any legal impediments or a criminal record.
- Not having prohibited entry into Ecuador.
- Holding a passport with at least 1 year validity.
- Updated CV.
- Scanned copy of the passport.
- An internationally recognized B2 level certification on knowledge of English language (Not needed for native English speakers).
- Scanned copy of the bachelor’s degree, or transcripts from the university (applies only to students), and/or certificates of English teaching.
- Motivation letter, explaining why you want to participate in the program (Max. 500 words).
- A legitimate and valid criminal background check document issued by a competent authority in the country of origin/residence.
- An up to date general medical certificate.
- It is part of the recruitment process to pass a psychological test.
- Upon approval of placement, successful candidates are required to pay a deposit of $500. Your program deposit payment demonstrates your commitment to the “Time to Teach” program. The deposit is fully refundable by the non-profit organization upon completion of contract. The deposit is non-refundable if the teacher decides to cancel or withdraw from the program at any time and for any reason.