The program ¨Time to Teach¨ is developed by the Ministry of Education of Ecuador, and executed by non-profit organizations. We invite you to enjoy this once in a lifetime experience and teach English to children and adolescents from vulnerable sectors of Ecuador.
Come and be part of the experience of improving English learning in Ecuador by being a volunteer teacher in public primary and high schools and take the opportunity to explore a country with one of the greatest biodiversity in the world and a great cultural heritage.
There are two teaching position options:
- Long term position:
- May 2017 to end the last days of February 2018 in the Coast Region. (Teachers accepted into the program may arrive during April 2017)
- Short term position (5 months):
- October 2017 until the beginning of March 2018 (teachers accepted into the program may arrive as late as September 30th 2017)
- The volunteer will work as an English teacher therefore he/she must comply with all the responsibilities of the position.
- The volunteer teacher will have to comply with up to 40 work hours per week (Monday to Friday).
- Volunteers will work either a morning or an afternoon shift.
- The volunteer will have 30 academic hours (45 min. class), plus 10 hours of lesson planning and additional activities at the school (meetings with teachers, marking and other activities).
- There could be as many as 40 students per class.
- Attend events and training related to the program coordinated by the Ministry of Education.
- The volunteer must behave according to the Volunteer Handbook, as being ambassadors of their country.
THE PROGRAM INCLUDES:
- LONG TERM POSITION: Airline tickets (round trip) from the volunteer’s current place of residence to Ecuador.
- SHORT TERM POSITION: Airline tickets (one-way) return flight from Ecuador to the volunteers’ country of residence (the volunteer will need to cover the flight from their place of residence to Ecuador).
- Visa application process in order to participate as a volunteer teacher.
- Private, national, pre-paid medical insurance for volunteer teachers for the duration of their stay in the program.
- Accommodation, volunteers will be placed with a host family that has a connection to the school the volunteer will teach at (Eg. the children attend the school/ a parent works at the school).
- Meals: host families will provide 2 meals (breakfast and dinner). The volunteer will need to cover for lunch expenses.
- Monthly living allowance for the teacher’s personal expenses. A total of $386 per month minus 8% of taxes.
- Induction and training about the Ecuadorian public education system and English teaching plan developed by the Ministry of Education.
- Information on tourist attractions and tours that volunteer teachers can use to plan their travels in Ecuador.
- At the end of the program participants will receive a certificate signed by the Ministry of Education in recognition of their valuable contribution as a volunteer teacher in the ¨Time to Teach¨ Program.
WHO CAN APPLY?
- English native speakers or at least B2 English level according to the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR).
- Graduates holding a Bachelor’s Degree with any academic specialty, or university students attending the last year/s of their education, or holders of an internationally recognized certificate of English teaching.
- No legal impediments or a criminal record.
- No prohibited entry into Ecuador.
- A passport with at least 1-year validity.
- Updated CV.
- Scanned copy of passport.
- An internationally recognized B2 level certification of the English language (not needed for native English speakers).
- Scanned copy of bachelor’s degree, or transcripts from the university (applies only to students), and/or certificates of English teaching.
- Motivation letter, explaining why you want to participate in the program (Max. 500 words).
- A legitimate and valid criminal background check document issued by a competent authority in the country of origin/residence (Police Check).
- An up to date general medical certificate.
- It is part of the recruitment process to pass a psychological test and a short interview via Skype.